Iron Rods and God’s Miracles



Before - Rebar Boy

I could hardly believe my eyes! Hearing an uproar by the clinic door, I walked over to join a small crowd surrounding a stretcher. On the stretcher was a twelve-year-old boy. What was unbelievable was the iron rods that were literally sticking through his body.

Later I learned that "Nayen" had been up in a tree when a branch broke. He fell and landed on two pieces of upright rebar. The rebar was partially submerged in water. Someone had the presence of mind to partially support the boy while another repeatedly went under the water to cut the rebar! It took at least 30 minutes to get the bars cut and bring him to the hospital.

When the crowd parted and the child was brought inside, I could see the condition was worse than I thought. One rod had pierced his shoulder. The other had entered in his lower abdomen and exited from the upper chest near the left shoulder. Dr. Kelley came immediately and whisked the boy off to the operating room to get work done immediately. Les Collins, MCH workshop’s supervisor, had to come with an electric saw to cut the rebar. By this time, the young man had been given anesthesia, intubated (had a breathing tube inserted) and an IV begun. The electric saw did quicker work than that used in the village, so soon the child was ready for surgery.

The surgery took several hours. Dr. Kelley reported afterward that "Nayen" had damage to several parts of his body. That part is not amazing. The rod went through the stomach, the diaphragm, and the lung. The amazing part? The rod was literally resting on the sac containing the heart, moving with every heartbeat. But the heart was not damaged! The rod went through the upper body at a place where there are major blood vessels - but none of them were damaged, either.

See the "before" and "after" pictures. We all acknowledge that "Nayen" is alive due to God's preservation! What a treat it was yesterday to see him happily eating a banana and preparing to go home.

Cutting the barRebar Boy Walking  


- submitted by nurse Susan Edge, November 2015